1) Aids Digestion: Lemon water aids digestion in two ways - firstly it is acidic so if you happen to be low on stomach acid, (hypochlorhydria) then this would be a good choice to help you improve the digestion of food. Also activating the other digestive enyzmes found in your body is also dependent on an acidic environment. The digestive qualities of lemon juice help to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating. The second reason it aids in digestion s that Lemon water stimulates the production of bile from your liver - which will also aid in removing fat soluble toxins from the liver in the bile. The American Cancer Society recommends offering warm lemon water to cancer sufferers to help stimulate bowel movements. So for those constipated people out there it will also help you go!
2) Minerals, Antioxidants and Immune Boosters: Lemons contain many substances–notably citric acid, calcium, magnesium (my favorite mineral) vitamin C and bioflavonoids, (antioxidants) pectin, and limonene–that promote immunity and fight infection.
3) Cleanses Your System (Liver) Detoxification / Diuretic. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials in part because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Therefore toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy. Also the citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme function in the liver and aids in detoxification. In my opinion is the main benefit of Lemon Water - it increases liver enymze funtion and therefore increases your bodies ability to remove toxins and waste.
4) Freshens Breath. Besides fresher breath, lemons have been known to help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. Note! Be aware that citric acid can erode tooth enamel, so you should be mindful of this - Do not brush your teeth after drinking your lemon water. Wait a significant amount of time after to brush your teeth. Additionally, you can rinse your mouth with purified water after you finish your lemon water.
5) Aids in Weight Loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
This list is just the tip of the ice burg in terms of benefits of the practice of drinking Lemon water. I drink it all day long but some people just have it in the morning.
How to prepare lemon water:
Using purified water cut of a half a lemon per 1/2 litre of water and put it in the fridge overnight. I prefer to let it sit overnight so that it is ready in the morning and it also apparently helps increase the detox properties as it become a bit more bitter. You want to avoid ice cold water thought when you drink it since that can be a lot for your body to process and from a Chinese medical perpective bad for the Stomach. Always use fresh lemons, organic if possible, never bottled lemon juice. Enjoy!